Monday, June 20, 2011

A day of screaming and biscuits

I can not explain to you the joy I felt in this day. It is indescribable. It is beautiful. It was just great. I won't put a ton into this post, just give you the facts. But it was just one of the greatest days of my trip, without a doubt. I woke up to beautiful weather behind the movie theater. It was over 90 miles to Clemson for the night. My first thought was, "I gotta get to Lake Burton, so I can get breakfast." That in itself was a 40 mile ride. I was in Burton by 10. I got to Joe's before he ran out of biscuits for the day. Joe works in this little roadside gas station/convenience store. He makes short order biscuit sandwiches for breakfast, and barbecue for the other meals of the day. These biscuits are the best part of my entire trip. They are huge, greasy, and bring back more memories of hanging out in Clayton with friends than I even remembered that I had. That, and a glass bottle Cheerwine, and crumb cake, and I was about to cry I was so happy. I biked over to Chip's lake house to charge the phone and let my parents know where I was.

I took a short break for about 45 minutes and let my legs recover.

I then biked faster and harder than I have on the entire trip. It is mountains all the way back to Clemson. Including a stop at a local orchard for a muscadine slushie, I bike 50.7 miles in 3 and a half hours.

As I was pulling onto 93 down into Clemson, and could see Tillman and the high rises near in the distance, I may have cut a guy in a truck off so I could get onto the ramp. The guy pulled up next to me, and asked if he could talk to me. I thought he was going to be mad I cut him off, but it turns out that his son is biking across the country right now as well. I got to talk to him for a while about that, when my good friend, and RA, AJ (that is a lot of letters) AJ THE RA, was pulling off the road we were on. He parked, gave me a big ol hug, and we got to catch up. I was really happy. When I finally rolled down the final hill, over the bridge, and down from the dikes, I started screaming. I was just yelling like a psycho. I haven't been that jacked up in so long. It just makes me realize how much I love Clemson. I yelled almost the entire way to the Ridge Apts. By the time I finished, my voice was a little hoarse.

I went up to surprise all the roommates in the room, but nobody was there. So I went in, made a late lunch/early dinner, and took a nap.

As I was napping, Miles came in, he didn't know I was on the couch. He gave a," Hello? Anybody here?." I proceed to give him a very sleepy, "Wha?" (Not a typo, there was no "t" in what. It was pronounced like I wrote it.) He then yells OI! and then full on ran and jumped on me. He gave a super freak out. I think he may have molested me. That is a joke. But he was pumped to see me. See, I told everyone I would be back in Clemson on Monday, when really I arrived yesterday, on Sunday. So it was fun surprising people. I went and played volleyball with some friends, then went to Starbucks with Catherine King and Rabely and Kaitlyn Pahel to see Sarah Matthews. I had a pretty large cappuccino. Coffee at Starbucks sucks compared to little shops out West. Sucks for Starbucks.

I shouldn't have had that coffee at 9pm. I got to sleep until Benjamin and Bradley got back from the weekend. Once they woke me up, I was wired. I was up till 2:30 a.m. I couldn't fall asleep.

Then I just passed out with my face on the screenonioinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

No comments:

Post a Comment