Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ground and Pound

So the title of this blog has nothing to do with anything. I will be honest, I have no idea why I just wrote that. Tuesday was a hard day. I wanted to get to Denver in one day from Laramie, which was roughly 120 miles. I woke up to sub 32 degree weather (as you may know from my ice covered sleeping bag). I made some oatmeal and hot chocolate then got on the road. The day was finally super pretty. It was clear blue skies, and I had a decent tail wind for about two hours. I got to the border of Colorado pretty quickly, which was exciting. That section of highway 287 through northern Colorado is super gorgeous. It was huge rock towers, massive valleys, and huge mountains in the distance. It was just really nice. It was cold, so I had all of my winter gear on. As I headed South, I slowly kept shedding layers until I was just in a long sleeve and cycle pants. That is where I stayed at for the rest of the day.

I got into Fort Collins and was a little upset. It was such a cool little town, and I would have loved to explore it a little, but the traffic was terrible. I ended up riding on the sidewalks a lot. The roads were really busy all the way from Fort Collins to Denver, but the shoulders were really big, so that was good too. I loved how many fixies I saw Fort Collins. I could live there solely for the indie scene. (I am joking). But they did have a lot of really cool shops and restaurants that I wouldn't mind checking out one day.

I ended up getting really sunburned today, even through my shirt. I got blisters on my arms from the sun. I called my nurse friends just to make sure that I didn't somehow have skin cancer, or need to go to the doctor. (I am cancer free as far as the blisters are concerned.) Also, I don't know if you have ever sunburned your lips, but that might be the most painful thing ever. My bottom lip is a little sunburned, and it is pretty terrible. It hurts to open my mouth too far.

Denver was funny. People don't like you driving on the road at all, even though the shoulder was 10 feet wide, and I was on the far right. I got a couple fingers from some younger guys, which I politely returned with a huge smile and a wave. least that made me laugh.

So what was supposed to be a 120 mile, turned out a lot longer. I got lost twice, because the roads in Denver were poorly marked (at least they were in the Northern part of the city). The second time, the road I had directions for was Coors Street. What I needed was Coors Drive, a completely different road. Why on earth you would name streets the same thing with different road descriptions is beyond me, but I wasn't a happy camper. I left at 8 o'clock yesterday morning, and rolled up the Fletcher's Sister's house at about 8:50 p.m. Welcome to a terribly long day. Too long.

I think I might have robot legs.

I did about 140 miles today. I went through all of Wyoming in 5 days and 2 hours.

Seriously, robot legs, I am telling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment